Maintaining a healthy diet during these stressful times can be challenging, but getting the right nutrients is not only important for your physical health, but also for your mental and emotional health as well.
Some of the healthiest foods you can eat include the following:
- Fish and roe—Salmon and rainbow trout are fabulous fish choices that contain fatty acids that help lower cholesterol. Fish is also a great source of calcium for bone health. Codfish, in particular, is very rich in amino acids and is an excellent natural source of the sunshine vitamin D. Fish eggs (roe) are full of vitamin B12 and are a great source of omega-3s.
- Dandelion greens and flowers— “Dente de lion” means “tooth of the lion”. While many people think of this as a weed to be eradicated, it is actually an excellent salad ingredient that is loaded with calcium and vitamins A and C. You shouldn’t eat dandelions that grow in lawns that have been treated with chemicals.
- Basil—This sweet and spicy herb has antimicrobial properties and may offer protection for the heart muscle.
- Spinach—Eating it raw makes it one of the most nutritious salad ingredients that you can get and it is loaded with calcium, vitamin A, iron, and phosphorus. Cooked spinach is also very healthy.
- Nuts—Nuts are very high in many nutrients and the walnut packs a load of a-linolenic acid which is a strong omega-3 fatty acid made by plants.
- Kale—This dark, leafy green vegetable contains minerals like iron, calcium, and phosphorus and also boasts high amounts of vitamins A and C.
And if you are experiencing foot and ankle problems see your foot doctor for the proper diagnosis and treatment. Call Syracuse Podiatry located in East Syracuse, New York. Dr. Ryan L. D’Amico, Dr. Kathleen Pyatak-Hugar, and Dr. Donal M. Erickson and their staff will help you diagnose and treat your foot or ankle condition. Call 315-446-3668 or make an appointment online today.