Summer is finally kicking into high gear. The weather is beautiful, and people of all ages are getting outdoors to enjoy the fun. However, all these fun activities can put a lot of stress and strain on your feet and ankles. Don’t worry though, we’ll cover everything you need to know to make sure you avoid ankle sprains.
WHAT IS AN ANKLE SPRAIN?
An ankle sprain is when your ankle bones twist or receive too much force and the ligaments surrounding the outside of the bones suffer from over-stretching or tearing. This can result in a great deal of pain and discomfort. Some sprains are minor, but others are more serious. It’s always best to go to an experienced doctor to get an assessment. If a sprain is not accurately diagnosed and treated, it can cause permanent trouble.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF AN ANKLE SPRAIN?
Symptoms of an ankle sprain can include:
- Swelling after twisting or injuring the ankle area
- Bruising of the ankle area
- Pain in the lower leg
WHAT IS THE TREATMENT FOR ANKLE SPRAINS?
You can treat ankle sprains in several ways, including:
- The application of ice to the ankle area
- Elevate the lower leg to lessen swelling
- Rest the ankle from activity or exercise
- Support the injured ankle by wrapping it with compression bandages
- If the sprain happens to be severe, surgery may be necessary to repair the damage
HOW CAN YOU PREVENT SPRAINS?
- Wear properly fitting, supportive footwear and sneakers, especially during exercise and sports
- Protect your ankles with appropriate ankle braces and supports
- Keep the ankle muscles strong and flexible through regularly exercising and stretching
As always, if you do find an issue or are experiencing any pain or discomfort, contact a specialist right away. Dr. Ryan L. D’Amico, Dr. Donal M. Erickson, Dr. Keith Sherman, and their staff will help you diagnose and treat your foot or ankle condition. Call Syracuse Podiatry, located in East Syracuse, New York, for more tips and expert advice. Call 315-446-3668 or make an appointment online today.