September is Healthy Aging Month. It is the perfect time to take a moment to look at the most common problems older people have with their feet and then go over some easy tips seniors can take to make sure their feet are the healthiest they can be.
WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON PROBLEMS FOR AGING FEET?
Older people can have many problems with their feet as they age. Here are the most common ones:
FOOT CARE TIPS FOR SENIORS
Your feet naturally age with the rest of your body, but that doesn’t mean you have to put up with painful foot problems. Follow these tips to keep your feet in the best shape possible:
- Wear proper footwear. Make sure your shoes are flexible and they fit correctly.
- Visit an experienced podiatrist.
- Maintain good circulation. You can do this by getting regular exercise. Just walking daily for an hour is beneficial. You can also massage your feet to increase circulation. Avoiding sitting for long periods also helps. If you smoke, quit as soon as possible.
- Keep your feet warm. Heavy socks can help keep the cold out.
- Clean your feet daily. Make sure you use soap and water.
- Use lotion. As we age, our skin can become drier. Applying lotion can prevent cracks that may occur with dry skin.
- Check your feet every day.
- Avoid walking barefoot.
- Use a cane. Older people may suffer problems with balance which can lead to a bad fall. A cane or walker can help.
- Stretch before any strenuous activity. It can help your feet stay flexible.
If you are experiencing any pain or discomfort with your feet, it’s vital to contact an experienced professional right away.
For more tips and expert advice, call Syracuse Podiatry, located in East Syracuse, New York. Dr. Ryan L. D’Amico, Dr. Donal M. Erickson, and their staff will help you diagnose and treat your foot or ankle condition. Call 315-446-3668 or make an appointment online today.