Your doctor will make orthotic shoe inserts to precisely fit your foot shape to correct a wide variety of foot and ankle conditions. Correcting foot and ankle mechanics with properly fitted shoes and orthotics also improves spinal alignment, thereby fixing issues with your knees, hips, and back as well.
For patients who have diabetes, wearing orthotic inserts in combination with properly fitted shoes can treat and prevent foot ulcers and help prevent infections and other complications, including the possibility of amputation in severe cases, so see your foot doctor.
Some of the myriad conditions that can be treated and prevented with the proper placement of custom orthotic shoe inserts include the following:
- Arch and gait problems caused by conditions such as plantar fasciitis
- Foot problems caused by systemic diseases like diabetes and circulation abnormalities such as peripheral artery disease
- Toe problems and deformities like bunions and hammertoes
- Ankle sprains and strains
- Nerve conditions like neuropathy and neuromas
- Heel pain and discomfort from Achilles tendonitis and spurs
- Hairline fractures and breaks
Metatarsal lifts can be placed underneath the base of toes to treat tendon imbalances and correct early-stage hammertoes and bunions. Specially made ankle braces are great for increasing stability and preventing potentially damaging falls. It is especially true for the elderly and diabetic patients who have trouble feeling their feet. Talk to your foot doctor.
If you would like assistance with custom orthotic inserts to treat your foot or ankle problems, enlisting your foot doctor’s services will provide the most accurate diagnosis and treatment.
Call Syracuse Podiatry, located in East Syracuse, New York. Dr. Ryan L. D’Amico, and Dr. Donal M. Erickson, and their staff will help you diagnose and treat your foot or ankle condition. Call 315-446-3668 or make an appointment online today.