Ingrown toenails are a significant point of concern for many people. Ingrown toenails can cause swelling, redness, oozing, and, unfortunately, intense pain. They can also be the avenue for fungal, viral, and bacterial infections to get a foothold. If you are getting painful ingrown toenail problems, see your foot doctor for the proper treatment.
Here are some of the common causes of ingrown toenails:
- Injury to the foot or toe—Dropping something on your toe or accidentally stubbing it can cause an injury that damages the toenail and cause it to grow inward.
- Poor toenail cutting technique—This is perhaps the leading cause of many ingrown toenails. A problem begins for toenails when cut too short. Leave them a little long and straight across to help prevent them from growing inward.
- Shoes that are too tight (like high heels)—Shoes like high heels push your toes together tightly and have your weight pushing on them, greatly increasing the chances of developing ingrown toenail difficulties.
Treatment for ingrown toenails includes the following methods:
- The edge lift—Carefully lift the toenail’s edge and insert a tiny piece of cotton to keep it away from your damaged skin. It will help the toenail grow out over the skin and fix the problem. Sometimes it helps to soak the foot in warm water first.
- Toenail removal—For severe ingrown toenails, your podiatrist will have to cut away the toenail’s sharp edge or remove the whole nail. A new, healthy one will grow in.
If you are experiencing pain and discomfort from ingrown toenails, see your podiatrist for the proper diagnosis most efficacious treatment. Call Syracuse Podiatry, located in East Syracuse, New York. Dr. Ryan L. D’Amico, and Dr. Donal M. Erickson and their staff will help you diagnose and treat your foot or ankle condition. Call 315-446-3668 or make an appointment online today.