Preventing foot and ankle problems from happening in the first place can be achieved with the use of custom orthotic shoe inserts. They can also be used to lessen the severity of many foot and ankle problems, and can also be used to prevent or postpone the need for surgery. Wearing properly fitted shoes with the proper orthotic inserts is an excellent method for increasing stability and comfort for the elderly and for diabetic patients. They are also used by athletes to maximize athletic performance.
Some of the many benefits of custom orthotic shoe inserts include the following:
- Decreases pain and discomfort—The increased cushioning and redirection of pressure will help relieve the pain and discomfort from many conditions including corns, calluses, and arch problems like flatfoot and plantar fasciitis, to name a few.
- Improve ankle stabilization to prevent falls—Braces that improve balance by stabilizing the ankle reduce falls in the elderly.
- Preventing or postponing the need for surgery—When orthotics are properly formed and placed by a skilled foot care professional they can prevent the need for invasive surgical procedures.
- Treatment of diabetic foot problems—When used in combination with specially made diabetic footwear, custom orthotics can treat diabetic foot ulcers and other injuries could otherwise become infected and lead to amputation.
- Treating abnormal foot structure—They can also treat toe deformities including bunions and hammertoes, overlapping and underlapping toes, and high arches.
To get the full benefits from orthotic shoe inserts see your experienced foot care professional for a proper evaluation of your foot structure and movement using a computerized gait analysis to determine your foot type. Call Syracuse Podiatry located in East Syracuse, New York. Dr. Ryan L. D’Amico, Dr. Kathleen Pyatak-Hugar, and Dr. Donal M. Erickson and their staff will help you diagnose and treat your foot or ankle condition. Call 315-446-3668 or make an appointment online today.