Back-to-school is back in session! Are you and your child ready? Most back-to-school shopping trips include a stop at a shoe store, but not many parents know the ins and outs of buying shoes for their kids. How can you ensure your child gets comfortable, well-fitting shoes that won’t cause pinched toes or injury? The doctors here at Syracuse Podiatry have an easy guide for you.
Our Top Tips for Fall Shoe Shopping:
- Your child’s feet are growing all the time! Always have both feet professionally measured each time you shop and buy for the larger foot.
- Shop later in the day when their feet are the most swollen.
- Take a pair of your child’s socks for trying on shoes.
- Let your child have a say in shoe selection, but choose carefully. Closed-toe shoes offer more protection for their feet.
- Make sure the heel is sturdy – when you press down on both sides of the heel counter, it should not collapse.
- The toe flexibility should be right – not too stiff or bendable.
- Make sure the shoe does not twist in the middle.
- Velcro fasteners or laces are best to keep the shoe firmly on the foot.
- New shoes should not need a “break-in” period and should feel comfortable immediately.
- Skip hand-me-downs. A shoe will mold to the prior owner’s foot and may harbor bacteria and fungi like athlete’s foot.
The beginning of a new school year is also great for a complete foot exam. If you have any concerns about your child’s feet or gait, we will assess them, diagnose any issues, and begin treatment if necessary.
Dr. Ryan L. D’Amico, Dr. Donal M. Erickson, Dr. Keith Sherman, Dr. Anne-Louise Smith, Dr. Justin Muser, and the rest of the staff at Syracuse Podiatry in East Syracuse, New York, can help treat and care for your feet. Call us at 315-446-3668 or make an appointment online to get help today.