It’s getting hot out there! Summer is in full swing, and now is a great time to get outdoors to enjoy all the fun summer offers. Whether it’s going to the pool, hiking, playing sports, or just hanging out, there’s so much to do. However, all these activities can cause excessive sweat, especially from your feet. To get the most out of your summer, follow these tips to deal with the sweat and keep your feet happy.
First, if you are experiencing any uncomfortable foot-related symptoms, it’s always best to consult an experienced foot specialist.
PROBLEMS SWEATY FEET CAN CAUSE
Excessive sweating of the feet is technically called hyperhidrosis and affects an estimated 5% of the population. Some of the biggest problems it causes are the following:
- Athlete’s foot
- Body odor
- General fungal problems
- Bacterial infections
- Toenail fungus
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Luckily, you can do a few things to prevent getting sweaty feet in the first place.
1) Wear the right socks. Make sure your socks aren’t too thick. Another idea is to check out specialty socks designed to take excessive moisture away from skin and pores.
2) Use antiperspirant. Try using antiperspirant on your feet. It works by blocking pores from excessive sweating.
3) Try powders. Many convenience stores will carry various foot powders that can help absorb excess sweat. Some even have anti-fungal properties.
4) Use shoe inserts. Simple shoe inserts can help your feet stay dry longer by absorbing moisture. There are medicated prescription inserts that help with odor.
5) Wash your feet daily. Using antibacterial soap on your feet can reduce excessive sweating. Just make sure to get in between your toes.
If you are still having problems with sweaty feet or any other foot-related issue, call Syracuse Podiatry, located in East Syracuse, New York. Dr. Ryan L. D’Amico, Dr. Donal M. Erickson, and their staff will help you diagnose and treat your foot or ankle condition. Call 315-446-3668 or make an appointment online today.