After an extended Thanksgiving weekend of eating pie, stuffing, and leftovers, and sitting on the couch talking to relatives, you might be itching for some physical activity. However, temperatures are plummeting and snow is piling up in Central New York, so exercising outdoors is not very desirable. Instead, here are 5 exercises you can do from the warmth of your own home—without any expensive gym equipment!
- Planks: Start on the ground in push-up position, but drop so that you are supporting your upper body with your elbows. Hold this position as long as you can, making sure your butt does not stick up too high or drop too low. Planks are an incredible core workout!
- Gallon jug curls: Grab the heaviest container of liquid that you can manage (milk or water works well!) Slowly flex your arm so the container is at the level of your shoulder, and extend it back. Performing 10 on each side will work out your biceps and triceps.
- Jumping rope: It’s a blast from your high school gym class past! Jumping rope for one minute at a time is sure to get you sweating, improve your cardio, and sculpt your calves!
- Stair climbing: No StairMaster? No problem! Simply climb up and down a staircase in your home for a few minutes at a time. If you don’t have any stairs, a stool or stack of books will be enough to feel the burn in your thighs.
- Cleaning and dancing: Picking up after the guests you hosted for the weekend? Turn up the tunes and add some pep to your step. You might be surprised at how quickly the time passes and how much your heart rate increases!
Now, not even the coldest, windiest, snowiest Syracuse days can prevent you from getting a quick workout! If you sustain a foot or ankle injury while completing any exercise, seek the advice of board-certified podiatrist Dr. Ryan L. D’Amico of Syracuse Podiatry. He has experience treating hammertoe, bunions, heel pain, and more. Patients of all ages are encouraged to contact our Fayetteville office by calling (315) 446-3668 today!