Injuries to the ankle are very common due to all the tendons, ligaments, and bones in the foot. The location of discomfort and pain can be on the inside or the outside of the ankle, or you may have radiating pain from an Achilles tendon injury.
Some common causes of ankle pain include the following:
- Ankle sprain or strain
- Achilles tendon injury or rupture
- Break or hairline fracture
- Various types of arthritis (RA, Osteoarthritis, reactive arthritis, etc…)
- Plantar fasciitis
- Peroneal tendonitis
Even a minor ankle injury can cause severe pain, swelling, and stiffness, so after applying the initial RICE method below, you should see your foot doctor to determine the extent of the injury.
The RICE method:
- Rest–Take the weight off of the ankle immediately to avoid making it worse
- Ice–Apply an ice pack several times a day for 10-15 minutes
- Compression–Wrapping the ankle with a compression bandage will help reduce swelling and movement
- Elevation–Lying down and raising your foot above the level of your heart also reduces swelling by draining fluid
You can take ibuprofen to reduce pain and swelling, and if noticeable improvement hasn’t occurred after several hours or a couple of days at the most, you need to see your foot care specialist for proper diagnosis and treatment. Poorly treated ankle injuries can become injured again more easily and the condition can become chronic without proper care.
If you are experiencing pain and discomfort in your ankle, seeing your podiatrist is the best way to receive the proper diagnosis and treatment. Call Syracuse Podiatry in East Syracuse, New York. Our skilled podiatrists, Dr. Ryan L. D’Amico and Dr. Payel Ghosh, will help you diagnose and treat your foot or ankle condition. Call 315-446-3668 or make an appointment online today.