You can help to prevent many foot and ankle problems by wearing the proper footwear, stretching before exercising, and having your foot care professional perform a complete foot and ankle exam twice a year. One of the best ways to avoid injuries is by wearing the right orthotic shoe inserts. These support structures will provide the proper cushioning and support and treat various abnormalities in foot structure that can also wreak havoc in your knees, hips, and back.
You can purchase generic arch supports and inserts from pharmacies, but they won’t be custom formed to fit your feet. Your podiatrist can do a computerized gait analysis to determine your foot type and what kind of orthotics are right for you.
Custom orthotics can help in many ways including the following:
- Redistribute pressure to relieve pain—The isolation and cushioning provided by custom orthotics can treat many conditions including corns, calluses, warts, and Achilles tendonitis.
- Provide correct arch support—Arch support has to be done correctly and it is one of the most important factors to overall foot health. Custom orthotics treat flat feet and correct overpronation.
- Increase stability and help prevent falls—Having weak ankles and a bad sense of balance can cause debilitating falls. Orthotics can be used to increase ankle stability and prevent falls.
- Help avoid Injury and infection—Diabetic peripheral neuropathy can contribute to muscle weakness and foot ulcers. Custom orthotics can help prevent injuries and treat infections.
- Postpone or prevent surgery—Custom orthotics treat many foot problems without the need for surgery.
To see how custom orthotic shoe inserts can help you, contact your foot specialist. Call Syracuse Podiatry located in Central New York. Podiatrists Dr. Ryan L. D’Amico and Dr. Payel Ghosh will help you diagnose and provide individualized treatment plans for your foot or ankle condition. Call 315-446-3668 or make an appointment online today.