When your foot or ankle is injured your first thought may be to go to your primary physician. While this is a perfectly acceptable choice, an even better option would be to make an appointment with a podiatrist. A podiatrist is a specialist who focuses on the treatment of the foot and ankle. They treat any and all problems related to the foot and ankle and know all of today’s top technologies and treatments. Exactly what type of injury or condition does a podiatrist treat? Here is a list of some of the basics.
- Foot and ankle sprains are treated by podiatrists. Not only do they prescribe medicines to help prevent swelling and pain but they can also instruct patients on proper exercises and stretches that will help heal the sprain.
- Foot and ankle fractures or breaks are also often treated by a podiatrist. A podiatrist is trained to properly set the bones and immobilize the foot and ankle to speed up the healing process. They will also make appointments to. Heck on periodically about the healing process that the foot undergoes.
- Blisters are another common foot and ankle problem that is treated by podiatrists. Not only can a podiatrist clean and dress a blister but they can also inspect them for infection. If a blister gets infected and is not properly treated it can lead to gangrene and eventual amputation of the foot.
- Diabetic feet are often the victims of a lot of foot and ankle conditions that limit feeling to the foot. A podiatrist is a highly trained doctor who can help treat peripheral neuropathy and monitor its progression. Without proper monitoring, a person can lose complete sensation in their foot and render it immobile.
- Skin conditions that appear on the feet are also treated by a podiatrist. Dry skin, athlete’s feet, foot funguses and other rashes are regularly treated by a foot doctor. Not only do they have a special array of creams and ointments, they also have a lot of different recommendations for lifestyle changes that may help prevent skin problems on the feet in the future.
Not only can a podiatrist treat all of these conditions but they can also treat many other feet and ankle related conditions. If you notice something is wrong with your foot call Syracuse Podiatry located in East Syracuse, New York. Podiatrists Dr. Ryan L. D’Amico and Dr. Payel Ghosh will help you diagnose and treat your foot or ankle condition. Call 315-446-3668 or make an appointment online today.