When you have pain in your feet, every step you take can change your gait, which can affect your whole body. One such condition which is hard to ignore is neuromas. Neuromas are growths of nerve tissue that form commonly between the third and fourth toes that can cause pain, burning sensations, swelling, tingling or numbness. They can result from abnormal walking that applies pressure repeatedly to an area of the foot, from an injury, or improper footwear. No matter what the cause, it is important to find relief. The most effective way to address your neuroma is to see a foot care specialist who is experienced and skilled, but there are some measures you can take in the meantime:
- Stay off of your feet to take pressure off of the affected area.
- Ice and elevate your feet to reduce swelling.
- Rub and massage the area to help alleviate pain.
- Do not wear high heels or narrow shoes, as this applies extra pressure to the ball of the foot.
- Wear shoes that have ample space for your toes.
- Use foot pads or inserts to place in the front of your shoes to relieve pressure in the affected area.
Neuromas can worsen over time without proper treatment, so working with a podiatrist is your fastest and most effective way to find relief. Dr. Ryan L. D’Amico of Syracuse Podiatry is a highly respected, qualified, and board-certified podiatrist who sees patients all over Central New York. Dr. D’Amico will evaluate and treat your neuromas on an individual basis and may prescribe orthotics, padding or taping, medication, or surgery, if necessary. Dr. D’Amico specializes in reconstructive foot and ankle surgery, so no matter the severity of your podiatric issue, he has the expertise to treat it! Heel pain, ingrown toenails, hammertoe, and sports injuries are just some of the conditions Dr. D’Amico treats. We at Syracuse Podiatry know the importance of foot health, so if you experience any pain or discomfort, please contact us online or call us at our Fayetteville office at (315) 446-3668 to schedule an appointment!